The benefits of coconut oil are plenty, right from health to beauty to cooking! Coconut oil is extracted from the fresh white pulp (or coconut kernel) or dried coconut pulp (called copra). Coconut oil can either be virgin (made from the fresh white pulp of the coconut) or refined (which is made from the dried pulp called copra).
Now I’m sure this question must be in the minds of many who have heard of this statement “Have a spoonful of coconut oil on an empty stomach”, but why?
Check out some of the reasons below:
1. For weight loss:
Have a few extra pounds to shed and finding it really hard to get back into shape? Well, coconut oil contains lauric acid, a medium-chain triglyceride (MCT). These MCTs are a dietary supplement that is made up of fats that can be found most commonly in coconut oil. These are known to have many potential health benefits and can modestly help contribute towards weight loss.
MCTs, unlike other fats, they go straight from the gut to the liver. From the liver, they are used as a source of energy or turned into ketones. These ketones are chemicals made in your liver, where the liver turns fat into ketones and sends them into your bloodstream. This process happens when the body doesn’t have enough of the hormone insulin to turn sugar or glucose into energy. Since the calories in MCTs are used straightaway, they are less likely to be stored as fat. Therefore this could help in weight loss more effectively, by increasing the body metabolism and reducing hunger, in turn reducing the calorie intake.
2. For hair growth and healthy skin:
If your diet doesn’t contain enough natural fats and other nutrients, taking a spoonful of coconut oil can help lead the way towards healthier skin and faster hair growth. A lot of people apply coconut oil on their hair for scalp health and hair growth. While this process is beneficial, the effects take a longer time to show as hair doesn’t have the ability to digest or metabolize the oil, how our digestive system can, therefore ingesting it will help improve hair growth from the inside and show external results.
3. Can help treat arthritis and strengthen bone health:
Arthritis is the swelling and tenderness of the joints, which causes pain and stiffness. It worsens as you get older. Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory properties which can help treat arthritis and increase the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin E (which supports the bone-building cells and limits the cells that cause bones to breakdown) and minerals like calcium and magnesium. These vitamins are very essential in maintaining strong and healthy bone and connective tissue health. This can make the bones stronger and reduce the risks for arthritis, fractures etc. READ MORE – BLACK CUMIN for extreme hair growth
4. For heart health:
Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is well-known for its ability to naturally increase the HDL or good cholesterol in our bodies. This can contribute significantly to protecting heart health and decrease the risk of developing heart diseases. Virgin coconut oil contains antioxidants which can prevent oxidative damage (an imbalance of the unstable molecules (called free radicals) that damage other healthy molecules and antioxidants present in the body, which lead to cell and tissue damage) to the arteries, in turn promoting cardiovascular health, as it helps reduce the formation of arterial plaque, the calcified blockages in the arteries that cause heart attacks and strokes.
5. Aids in digestion:
As the liver directly converts the MCTs into energy, it can result in less fat accumulation in and around the liver. Pancreas work with the liver to convert the fatty acids into usable energy. Therefore consumptions of coconut oil can help reduce the workload of pancreatic functioning.
6. Other benefits:
- Can help relieve a dry-mouth and scratchy and itchy throat as it has anti-inflammatory properties to alleviate the swelling and irritation and can moisturize the throat and reduce the dry itchy feeling.
- Can keep your skin moisturized.
- Can help keep Urinary tract infections (UTIs) at bay, the virgin coconut oil acts as a natural antibiotic which can penetrate and dissolve the cellular wall of harmful bacteria.
- Can ward off neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s Disease etc, as they provide the brain with ketones, which are fuel-chemicals produced by the body when we consume coconut oil.
- It can also improve memory and concentration, as it energizes your body and boosts your metabolism, as it contains MCTs.
- It regulates your apetite by improving digestion and balancing the blood-sugar levels. It also keeps you fuller for longer time and reduces the calorie intake.
- It helps increase the ability to build muscle by promoting increased endurance and sustained workouts, by boosting your energy and increasing the blood flow to the muscles. READ MORE – Ayurveda Miracle CCF Tea Recipe with Three Ingredients
Please Note: For consuming teaspoonful of coconut oil, make sure you are consuming virgin coconut oil, which is unrefined.