Almond oil has been used since ages and is very well-known for its multiple uses and benefits. It is extracted from the seed of the almond fruit. Almonds are the edible seeds from the almond trees, which can be eaten once the outer shell is removed. Almonds are often sold as dry fruit (raw or roasted) or in the form of almond oil, almond milk or even almond paste. Almond oil comes in two types – sweet and bitter. Sweet almond oil has many benefits from culinary additions to improving hair and skin health.
Types of almond oil:
- Bitter almond oil: Used often for therapy and has a strong smell. It cannot be ingested.
- Sweet almond oil: Commonly used in skin care and hair care products and can also be added to dishes.
Let’s look into the benefits of almond oil:
1. Good for heart health:
Almond oil is rich in monosaturated fatty acids and can help protect heart health by elevating the levels of good cholesterol or HDL in the body and lower the levels of bad cholesterol or LDL. The higher the cholesterol levels, the greater is the risk of developing heart diseases and therefore almond oil can keep it in check. It can also help promote better cardiovascular functioning.
2. Beneficial to the hair:
Almond oil can help strengthen and nourish the hair follicles from within and promote better hair growth. Almonds are rich in vitamin B7 or biotin. Biotin is very essential in assisting hair regrowth and improving the overall quality of the hair. Almond oil can also help protect the hair from damage due to exposure. It can keep the hair away from dryness and split ends. READ MORE – Onion Oil Recipe for faster hair growth and stop hair fall
3. Good for the skin:
Using almond oil for the skin can act as a natural soothing agent, as it also has emollient (hydrating) properties that act as a skin moisturizer that can help keep the skin soft, supple and hydrated. It will help retain water in the skin and reduce dryness and can give it a natural glow. It is rich in vitamin E and can thereby prevent the skin from premature ageing and protect it from damage due to exposure. It can also help in the reduction of stretch marks and scars.
4. Other benefits:
- It is rich in antioxidants: Almond oil is rich in antioxidants that can help protect the body from free radical damage, which otherwise can damage healthy cells of the body in turn can increase the risk of developing harmful diseases.
- Can stabilize blood sugar levels: Those who have diabetes, adding almond oil to your diet can help reduce blood sugar levels as almond oil is rich in monosaturated and polysaturated fats.
- For weight loss: Adding almond oil to your diet can help shed some extra weight, as almond oil can help decrease body fat and promote weight loss.
Uses of almond oil:
- As a culinary addition: Add it to your dishes or as a salad dressing.
- For the skin: (Use sweet almond oil) Take a few drops of almond oil and massage it over your face as a moisturizer, or you can apply it under your eyes to get rid of dark circles. If you have any kind of skin rash, you can apply little bit of almond oil on the affected area (do this every day till you see results).
- For the hair: Take some almond oil on the tips of your fingers and apply it evenly all over your scalp, until the tips of the hair. then leave it on for half an hour and then rinse off with plain water and a mild conditioner. READ MORE – Hair Wash Powder for longer stronger hair
General caution when using almond oil:
The beauty hacks are general and do not usually cause any irritation. But certain skin types react differently to different ingredients and therefore doing a patch test before complete application or usage, is advisable. If it causes any irritation, rinse off immediately with plain water and discontinue its usage with immediate effect.