Coriander (well-known as ‘dhania’ in India) is a commonly used herb which is very well-known for its distinct taste and multiple benefits. It is used in various forms like its seeds; the powder and its leaves. Coriander leaves are also called cilantro and look very similar to parsley and celery leaves.
Here are the benefits of coriander seeds:
1. To maintain blood sugar levels: Coriander tea (recipe below) can help in the reduction of blood sugar levels and maintain insulin activity in the body. Caution: People with low blood sugar levels or on diabetic medication should reconsider drinking this tea.
2. Beneficial for the skin: Coriander seeds are effective in curing various kinds of skin ailments as they have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
3. To keep cholesterol levels in check: Coriander seeds contain a compound called coriandrin. This compound is beneficial in controlling the process of lipid digestion, in turn bringing down cholesterol levels.
4. For women who suffer from irregular periods and period pain: Coriander seeds can help maintain a better and proper hormonal balance because these seeds have natural stimulants that can stimulate the endocrine glands. Coriander tea can also help relieve period pain and excess blood flow during periods.
5. For mouth ulcers and sores: Coriander seeds contain an acid called linolenic acid that has pain relieving properties.
6. Can help promote hair growth: Coriander seed oil (recipe below) can help prevent hair fall by strengthening the roots and protecting the hair follicles. It can also help reduce dandruff and excess sebum (oil) production on the scalp. It can give the hair a shine and smoothen its texture.
7. Can aid digestion: Coriander seeds have antioxidant properties and can aid digestion and regulate bowel movements. These seeds are also good sources of fibre, phosphorus and calcium.
8. Can boost one’s immunity: Coriander seeds are rich in antioxidants and can protect the body from free radical damage. They can also fight different types of inflammation in the body as it has anti-inflammatory effects.
9. Reduce water weight: Coriander water serves as a great detox drink and helps to eliminate all excess toxins to help you feel light and contribute to weight loss. READ MORE – BASIL SEEDS WATER for glowing skin and healthy hair
Here’s how to make coriander tea :
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
In a pan, dry roast the coriander seeds for few mins. Then using morter and pestle, coarsely grind the seeds, but do not make it into a fine powder.
Into a heating pot add in a cup of water and the coriander seeds. Let it come to a boil and then let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, before turning off the flame. Strain this mixture into a cup and add in the lemon juice and honey if you wish to. Stir well and consume while it is still hot enough to drink. Consume on an empty stomach early morning and then do not consume any other food or beverage for half an hour after having this water.
Coriander seed oil for hair growth:
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves paste
- 50 ml sesame seed oil
The coriander seeds have to be coarsely ground (not to a fine powder) using a motor and pestle and set aside. The coriander paste can be made by grinding in a mixer grinder around ½ a cup of coriander leaves into a coarsely ground paste.
Into a pan, add in the coriander seeds and coriander leaves paste and dry roast it until the colour of the seeds turn brown. Then, add in the sesame oil and let it come to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and let it simmer until the colour of the oil changes and darkens. Then turn off the flame and strain the oil into a container.
How to use:
Partition your hair and apply this oil evenly on the scalp and hair (using downward strokes) using your fingertips or an applicator brush. Once evenly applied, gently massage it in using circular motions and let it sit for half an hour before rinsing off with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Let your hair dry up naturally. READ MORE – HOT TOWEL THERAPY to get rid of several hair problems