I’m sure most of you have heard or come across the word “collagen” in articles or while having a conversation with someone. Were you ever wondering what collagen is all about? Well, if you’re looking for something with benefits for beauty, to improve muscle and bone strength, aid weight loss, promote better heart health, and aid better digestion, collagen is the right supplement for you! These supplements can be consumed in the form of capsules or collagen powder.
What is collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein found in our bodies and is extremely beneficial to all aspects of beauty and health. It is found in the bones, muscles, skin and tendons and makes up one-third of the protein found in the human body. It is the substance that provides structure and strength to the body and holds the body together.
There are two types of collagen in the body:
- Endogenous collagen: Endogenous collagen is naturally present within the body and it is synthesized by our bodies itself.
- Exogenous collagen: Exogenous collagen comes from sources outside the body, like from the food we eat or collagen supplements.
Symptoms of collagen deficiency:
As we grow older, collagen production depletes. That’s when we will start finding ourselves experiencing symptoms like –
- Premature signs of aging
- The skin will begin to look dull and lifeless with the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Weakened muscles and poor bone density lead to joint pains, stiffness and inflexible joints, and increased injuries
- Dry skin, brittle nails, formation of cellulite, thinning of hair, pigmentation, varicose veins
Benefits of collagen:
- Can promote better skin health:
Collagen is very essential for skin health as it can strengthen the skin and can promote skin elasticity and skin hydration. It can help prevent premature signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
- Can improve heart health:
Collagen is a structural protein that can provide structure to the arteries. The arteries are important as they are blood vessels that carry blood from the heart to the rest of the body and therefore, collagen will help strengthen the arteries and maintain heart health.
It can additionally help increase the levels of good cholesterol and in turn reduce the risk of developing heart conditions.
- Beneficial to joint and bone health:
Collagen can help maintain good joint health and reduce the risk of developing joint degenerative disorders like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. It can also help reduce joint inflammation and reduce bone loss, by strengthening the structure of the bones.
- Other benefits:
- Improved hair health: When collagen production is stimulated, it can help enhance hair growth.
- Improved nail health: Collagen will help reduce nail brittleness and breakage and improve nail strength.
Foods that can boost collagen production:
Those who consume the right kinds of collagen-rich foods, do not require to consume collagen supplements. READ MORE – Glowing skin Chia Water Recipe
Here are some collagen-rich foods.
- Fruits like – citrus fruits, tropical fruits like guava, kiwi, pineapple, avocado, mango
- Vegetables like – garlic, leafy greens, beans, tomatoes, bell peppers
- Other foods like – bone broth, egg whites, chicken, fish and shellfish, berries, flax seeds
- Nuts like – walnuts
Easy collagen-boosting recipes to make at home:
- Collagen drink:
- 2 tbsp dry roasted buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup mango pieces
- ½ cup kiwi
- Water (As required)
Into a mixer grinder, add in all the dry ingredients and grind into a fine powder. Then add in the fruits with little water and blend until it becomes a smooth runny consistency. Pour into a glass and it is ready to consume.
You will need:
- 25 grams pumpkin seeds – ( rich in glycine)
- 25 gram roasted soy beans (rich in proline)
- 1 tbsp amla/ indian gooseberry powder ( rich in vitamin c)
- 50 grams dry roasted oats
- 1 tsp turmeric ( rich in antioxidants)
- 25 grams of dark chocolate or cacao powder ( rich in copper)
Into a mixer grinder, add in the ingredients, and grind into a fine powder. This powder can be stored in a container. You can add 1 tbsp of this powder to warm water, in your smoothie or juice or warm milk, to consume.
Collagen supplements are generally considered safe, but certain people may be allergic to the products used in the supplement. Therefore, check the label for the ingredients before buying the supplement or consult your doctor to get a proper supplement recommendation.