Often found in the kitchen of many Indian homes, ajwain seeds, also known as carom seeds can often be confused with anise, cumin or fennel seeds, because of its similarity in shape and colour. But it is important to know that these seeds are all very different and each has its own varied uses. Even though it has a distinct taste and smell, drinking ajwain water has a lot of health and medicinal benefits. Here are some of them –
1. Ajwain water has the properties of preventing infections –
Ajwain has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties which is powerful in inhibiting the growth of bacteria and fungi in the body. It could also help in preventing the growth of bacteria like E.coli and salmonella, which cause food poisoning and other gastrointestinal conditions.
2. Helps aid weight loss –
Are you one of those people constantly worrying about your weight? Does the sight of a cheesecake make you gain additional calories? Try having ajwain water. Since ajwain water helps to absorb nutrients and improves digestion, it reduces the storage of fat, in turn aiding weight loss, but of course with a proper balanced diet and exercise routine.
3. May help regulate cholesterol and blood pressure levels –
Ajwain seeds have fiber and saturated fatty acids and with an adequate intake, it could help reduce the accumulation of cholesterol in the body. It also helps regular blood pressure because of its anti-hypertensive properties.
4. Helps in the reduction of inflammation in the body –
A little inflammation is important for the body’s repair process and acts as a defense mechanism against infection and injury. But chronic inflammation can be bad for the body and drinking ajwain water, can help reduce it.
- Acidity and indigestion: The constituent enzyme thymol in ajwain helps in the secretion of gastric juices which help to improve a person’s digestion and provides one instant relief.
- Colic in children: Ajwain has anti-spasmodic properties which help deal with stomach trouble like indigestion and flatulence.
- Coughs and colds: Add half an inch of chopped ginger to the ajwain water to help relieve one’s cough or cold. The thymol in the ajwain acts as a decongestant and clears the nasal passage way by helping with mucus removal.
- Irregular periods : For those women having irregular periods, ajwain water can help regularize your period. It also helps with ease PMS systoms. READ MORE – How to make fenugreek water along with benefits
Ajwain water is very simple and easy to make at home –
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
- 1 tsp honey (optional or as per your taste)
- 1½ tsp lemon juice (optional or as per your taste)
In a vessel, heat one glass of water and bring it to a boil. Once the water boils, add 1/2 tsp of carom seeds to it and let it continue to boil for 2 minutes, till all the flavor of the seeds are infused in the water. Turn off the heat and let it cool, bring it to room temperature. Strain the seeds water into the glass and add 1 tsp of honey and 1½ tsp of lemon juice, which is purely optional. The seeds water is ready to consume. Also note, the ajwain seeds can be dry roasted before using it.
In a glass of water, add 1/2 tsp of ajwain seeds and let it soak overnight. Strain the seeds the next morning, add the honey and lemon juice, if desired and it is ready to be consumed.
So try drinking this medicinal ajwain water and it could help treat or reduce most of your problems, without the use of any other medications. READ MORE – Healthy Ayurveda Water to flush out toxins, boost immunity and more…
Caution – Carom seeds has blood thinning properties, do not exceed the amount of seeds intake per day. Use of the seeds beyond the recommended dosage is considered unsafe. If you take any medications then consult your physician before using any remedies.