Scalp health is often taken for granted, as we focus more on our hair, shampooing it and finding the right conditioner. But ideally scalp health is also very important as it is where the hair follicles emerge from. A lot of people suffer from scalp issues like dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, etc which is linked to hair breakage and loss of hair shine and having poor scalp health can lead to premature hair loss. Your scalp health, will determine your hair health and therefore it is important to keep your scalp healthy. A healthy scalp is clear from flaking or dandruff and free from any scalp redness or irritation, dryness or any scalp infections.
Benefits and ways to get a healthy scalp:
- Avoid using products which contain harsh chemicals as they suck the moisture out of your hair and can leave your scalp itchy and dry and will result in dry, damaged and frizzy hair.
- Avoid hair treatments like dye and bleach as they may cause damage to the hair shaft and scalp skin.
- Do not scrub your scalp when washing your hair, instead massage it very gently. This can help avoid scalp abrasions.
- Do not wash your hair too often, as shampooing your hair too often will cause it to strip away all the natural oils (produced as sebum by the sebaceous glands), which is required in order to keep the hair and scalp hydrated.
- Using scalp scrubs, just like you use face scrubs to exfoliate your skin, can be beneficial to help remove the excess dead skin cells, oil and dandruff. It may help promote blood circulation by dilating the blood vessels under your skin, in turn boosting hair growth.
Caution: If you have scalp issues like redness and itchiness which persists, then consulting your dermatologist is ideal.
Here are some Ayurvedic remedies to getting a healthy scalp:
1. Pre-shampoo scalp scrub:
Scalp scrubs help deep cleanse the hair right from the roots, remove product buildup and dead skin cells and eliminates dandruff by reducing sebum production.
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 to 2 tbsp water
Into a small mixing bowl, add in cane sugar and olive oil and mix well. Add in the water little by little, just enough to make a fine paste.
How to use it for your scalp: Wash your hair with water and then apply this on your scalp and gently exfoliate and massage it in using circular motions. Do this for 5 to 8 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo and conditioner as usual. READ MORE –6 best drinks for clear healthy skin
2. Hair and scalp hair growth mask:
- 1 tbsp fenugreek power
- 2 – 3 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel
(Or aloe vera juice)
In a small mixing bowl, add in amla powder, bhringraj powder and fenugreek powder and mix it well so that all the dry ingredients are well combined. Then add in the aloe vera little by little while mixing it, just enough to form a smooth paste. Keep this hair and scalp mask for 24 hours refrigerated before using it, so that all the ingredients get infused without the other.
How to use it for your hair and scalp: Wet your scalp and hair with water and then apply this on your scalp and on your hair using downward strokes. Partitioning your hair while applying it will make it easier to apply. For the scalp gently exfoliate and massage it in using circular motions. Do this for 5 to 8 minutes and then let it sit for around 30 minutes, while you tie your hair into as loose bun and cover your head with a shower cap. Then wash off with a mild shampoo and conditioner as usual.
3. Ayurveda Hair Oil
- 1 tbsp amla powder
- 1 tbsp bhringraj powder
- 1/2 cup oil
In a small glass jar , add in amla powder, bhringraj powder and coconut or any other oil of your choice. Mix it well and infuse it in a warm place for 3 weeks. Apply this oil on your scalp and massage it in. Leave it on for 30 mins before you rinse it off. READ MORE – Top 5 hair oils to stop hair fall and grow thicker hair
Tip: Before wetting your hair, it is important to have your hair tangle free. So combing your hair with a wide tooth comb can help get rid of the knots and tangles easily and also avoid hair breakage and damage.