Apple Cider Vinegar (also known as ACV) is nothing but apple juice with added yeast, which turns the sugar in the juice, into alcohol. This process if called fermentation. The alcohol contains bacteria which turn the alcohol into acetic acid, which is what gives the vinegar its strong taste and smell.
What’s ACV with “The Mother”?
The raw (unrefined) and unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar contains a whitish cloud like substance which makes the appearance of the vinegar look murky and unclear. This is due to the presence of the good bacteria and yeast in the ACV, in addition to the strands of proteins and enzymes. It is probiotic (live and good bacteria) in nature and can help boost the immune system, while keeping the gut (the gastrointestinal tract) healthy.
Apple Cider Vinegar has been associated with a lot of health benefits apart from being used in salad dressings, baking, cooking and as a preservative. Let’s look into them:
1. Rich in anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties:
Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and can help kill pathogens (organisms like virus, bacteria, fungi etc, which causes diseases).
2. Helpful in weight loss:
A lot of people struggle with weight loss issues and Apple Cider Vinegar drinks (recipes below) can be the solution to it. Apple Cider Vinegar can help promote a sense of satiety or fullness, in turn promoting weight loss and loss of belly fat. Apple cider vinegar may boost weight loss and burn belly fat along with regular exercise.
3. Can control blood sugar levels:
Consumption of Apple Cider Vinegar can help slow down the emptying of the stomach and can prevent spikes in the blood sugar level. It can also improve insulin sensitivity (how responsive your cells are to the hormone, insulin).
4. Other benefits:
- Can help boost skin health, as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Control bad breath, as it neutralizes the pH (acid-base balance) levels in your mouth.
- Help prevent aging with its anti-aging formula, of tightening the skin and promotion of circulation in the body.
- Can be helpful in relieving heartburn.
- Help hair as it is rich in vitamins and minerals, in turn promoting hair health.
- Can help decrease the risk of cancer.
Apple Cider Vinegar is like a natural tonic (medicinal substance), but it can only be consumed in moderate and safe quantities.
Side effects of over consumption of Apple Cider Vinegar:
Can lead to enamel erosion: Prolonged contact between Apple Cider Vinegar and teeth can corrode and damage the enamel of the tooth. The enamel is the thin outer covering of the tooth, which covers the crown of the tooth and is a tough shell and the hardest tissue in the human body.
Lower potassium levels and contribute to bone loss: Over time, the intake of high doses of Apple Cider Vinegar attributed to low potassium levels and osteoporosis, which is a medical condition where the bones become brittle and fragile.
Drug interactions: A few medications have a counter-reaction on consumption of Apple Cider Vinegar. Like people taking medication of diabetes, medications for lowering of potassium levels in the body (as the ACV already does that too) and certain diuretic drugs (which promote the production of urine).
For those who suffer from gastroparesis: Gastroparesis means partial paralysis of the stomach, which is a disease where the stomach cannot empty itself of food in the normal way. So the Apple Cider Vinegar will slow down the emptying of the stomach rather than speeding it up and the food will remain longer in the system, in turn producing more gas. READ MORE – Ayurveda Sleep Tea for deep sleep
Here are two DIY recipes using Apple Cider Vinegar:
- 1 glass of lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp raw and unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ tbsp honey (optional)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
In a glass of lukewarm water, add in the Apple Cider Vinegar, lemon juice, honey (optional) and cinnamon powder (optional). Give it a light mix and it is ready to consume.
Please note: the water should not be too hot or too cold, you can use room temperature water if it is already lukewarm.
- Juice of one whole orange
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Honey or sugar to taste
In a glass squeeze in the juice of one whole freshly cut orange and add in the Apple Cider Vinegar and honey or sugar to taste, which is optional. Give it a mix and then top up the glass with water and mix again. READ MORE – ALOE TURMERIC – clear, glowing and healthy skin
- If you consume drinks with Apple Cider Vinegar regularly, using a straw to drink it would be ideal as its regular consumption can damage the enamel of your teeth.
- If the consumption (in safe quantities) has caused you any side effects, discontinue with immediate effect.
- People getting medicated should consult a doctor before consuming drinks with Apple Cider Vinegar, as it can interfere and interact with those medications.