Triphala is a powder made of three fruits – Indian Gooseberry or Amla, black myrobalan or haritaki (called kaala harad in Hindi) and belleric myrobalan or bibhitaki (called belerik harad in Hindi). It has many benefits from health to beauty.
Triphala means “three fruits”, which are native to India and the reason these three fruits are had as a combination (polyherbal) is because it is more powerful had as a combination than being had separately for the best effects (or rather thrice the effect!).
The 3 dried fruits used in Triphala are:
Amla or Indian Gooseberry:
Amla is high in vitamin C and contains essential amino acids and antioxidant properties that can prevent the cells from free radical damage and avoid the risk of developing chronic diseases. Amla has antioxidants like phenols, tannins and curcuminoids.
Haritaki is rich in vitamin C, iron and potassium in addition to the antioxidant properties like polyphenols, terpenes and anthocyanins that can protect the body.
Bibhitaki is rich in antioxidants like ellagic acid, tannins, lignans and flavones that can protect the body’s immunity and provide an anti-inflammatory effect in the body.
Let’s look into its benefits:
1. Beneficial to skin:
Triphala tea has anti-inflammatory properties and can help cure certain skin issues, protect skin cells and can help rebuild skin protein. It can also retain the moisture in the skin and keep the skin healthy and moisturized.
2. Can protect dental health:
Triphala can help protect dental health as it has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent plaque formation. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on teeth. This can lead to gum infections (gingivitis) and teeth cavities which can also destroy the enamel (outermost layer) of the tooth.
3. Beneficial to promote weight loss:
This is something a lot of us struggle from. Triphala is known to be effective in the reduction of fat especially in the belly area. For weight loss, it is best known to have triphala tea (recipe below) on an empty stomach for the best effects. READ MORE – ALOE VERA HAIR GROWTH POWDER
4. Other benefits:
- It can regulate blood sugar levels: Triphala can help lower blood sugar levels as it contains bibhitaki as one of its main ingredients.
- Can prevent the development of age-related eye diseases: Since triphala contains three fruits, making it rich in vitamin E, flavonoids and polyphenols, these are portent antioxidants that can neutralize free radical damage to the cells and can prevent the development of age-related eye diseases like cataract and macular degeneration.
- Can help heal skin ailments: When applied topically, triphala has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help rebuild skin protein and retain moisture, in turn combating oxidative injury. Consuming triphala can also help build collagen, an important protein for skin and hair growth.
- Can heal stomach ulcers: Triphala can help heal stomach ulcers as it can help restore the healthy enzymes in the stomach.
- It can aid digestive health: It can help support gut health and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut and also treat certain stomach ailments like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Has powerful antioxidants: This can help boost immunity and prevent the body from developing harmful and chronic diseases.
How to make triphala tea:
1 cup hot water
¼ tsp triphala powder
Into a cup, add in the hot water and ¼ tsp of triphala powder and stir well. Cover this mixture and keep this for 2 hours and let it sit, so that all the ingredients can get infused into the water. Add in honey if you wish to, stir well and it is ready to consume.
Tip: You can heat up this drink before consuming it. Also note that it is best consumed on an empty stomach, preferably in the morning. So, you can therefore make this drink and let it sit overnight and drink it the next morning. READ MORE – CHIA SEEDS FOR HAIR GROWTH
- Triphala has mild laxative effects and may also cause gas, cramps or bloating in some. The reasons can be either your intake of triphala is too much or it simply doesn’t agree with your body type. So, if you do face any of these issues, then you can try by lowering your intake of triphala and if these issues persist, then you can completely stop its usage.
- If you are already taking medications for diabetes or hypertension or other drugs, avoid the consumption of triphala as it may reduce their efficacy. Consult your doctor if you wish to consume.