RAW HONEY HEALTH BENEFITS AND USES
A lot of people often get confused between raw honey and regular honey. Is there a difference? Well, let us first get that sorted and the answer is, yes, there is. Read on, to find out more about it.
Raw honey is honey that is directly extracted from the honeycomb and only the impurities like pollen, bee wax etc is removed, but this honey is not pasteurized. Therefore, the appearance of raw honey looks cloudy, but is still safe for consumption and is richer in antioxidants as compared to regular honey because it is not pasteurized.
Regular honey on the other hand appears very clear and this is because of the pasteurization and filtration process it goes through to help increase the shelf-life and reduce crystallization of the honey. The process of pasteurization involves the application of high heat to the honey that can also destroy the yeast found in honey and it is then filtered to further remove the impurities.
There are multiple benefits of raw honey and here are some of them:
Raw honey is packed with phytonutrients that are responsible for its antioxidant properties.
Raw honey is known to have more antioxidants as compared to regular honey because it is not pasteurized. Some of the main antioxidants in honey include organic acids and flavonoids. This is a powerful combination that helps protect the body from free radical damage, which can be harmful to other healthy cells in the body. Free radicals in the body can be detrimental to the body in many ways like speeding up the aging process to increasing the risk of developing chronic diseases and other health conditions.
Raw honey can help balance the bacteria on the skin as it has antioxidant properties. It is also beneficial for those with acne, as it has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Honey is a natural humectant. It can help keep the skin moisturized and hydrated and make it feel soft and supple. It can also reduce dry and dull skin, as it acts as a natural exfoliator and can help reveal the new skin underneath and improve your skin complexion.
The polyphenols in raw honey can help prevent heart diseases and boost immune system functioning. Raw honey is supposed to be beneficial for those suffering from a sore throat or cough and consuming raw honey can help relieve the pain of the sore throat and the symptoms of the cough. Raw honey can work as dextromethorphan, which is a common ingredient used in most over-the-counter cough medications.
- Honey contains very less sugar and can be helpful for those with diabetes, as using honey as a sweetener can be a healthier option, substituting it for sugar.
- Can be used for the skin, to help cure acne and improve skin tone acne complexion. All you need to do is, dilute 1 tsp of honey with ¼ tsp of water and mix well and apply it all over your face and massage it in using circular motions. Then let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing off with plain water and then a mild cleanser.
- Use it to soothe a sore throat or cough by consuming one to two teaspoons directly or you can also add it into any herbal tea and then consume it, if you do not like its flavour.
- Can be used to heal wounds and promote faster and quicker healing, as raw honey can help kill the unwanted bacteria as it has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties. It is important to clean the area properly with plain water before applying the raw honey. You can also dilute the honey with a few drops of water if you find the texture too thick for topical application.
- Do not give raw honey to infants or babies, as it can be harmful to their health and it can have side-effects.
- Though raw honey is safe to use and consume, some people may have reactions. Therefore, consume it in smaller quantities for first time consumption to check for reactions. For those who are using it on their skin, a patch test (applying it to a small portion and leaving it for 10 to 15 minutes to check for any allergic reactions) is advisable. If it causes any irritation for your skin type, immediately wash off with plain water and discontinue its usage with immediate effect.