HOW TO CHECK IF YOUR HONEY IS RAW OR PROCESSED
Honey is loaded with benefits for health, I’m sure there is no one who doesn’t know that right?
But do you know that honey comes in two types – honey that is raw and the one that is processed? Yes, the honey sold to you on the shelves of commercial stores is most often processed or filtered honey.
Consuming filtered honey will mean consuming honey with half the benefits! Always make sure to choose raw honey and check the honey that you are buying.
In this article, we talk about a simple technique you can use to test whether your honey is raw or processed.
How to test for raw vs. processed honey?
All you need to do is fill a glass of water and take a teaspoon full of honey. Then pour the honey into the glass and observe.
If the honey begins to dissolve while it’s on the way down to the bottom, this means that the honey is processed and gets diluted within a few minutes.
If the honey is raw, then it will fall in one blob and sink directly to the bottom of the glass of water without dissolving instantly.
This is a super simple and easy test and trick to check whether the honey you’re buying is raw or unprocessed.
How does consuming raw honey benefit you?
There are multiple benefits of raw honey and here are some of them:
- Raw honey is packed with phytonutrients that are responsible for its antioxidant properties.
- Raw honey is known to have more antioxidants as compared to regular honey because it is not pasteurized. Some of the main antioxidants in honey include organic acids and flavonoids. This is a powerful combination that helps protect the body from free radical damage, which can be harmful to other healthy cells in the body. Free radicals in the body can be detrimental to the body in many ways like speeding up the aging process to increasing the risk of developing chronic diseases and other health conditions.
- Raw honey can help balance the bacteria on the skin as it has antioxidant properties. It is also beneficial for those with acne, as it has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Honey is a natural humectant. It can help keep the skin moisturized and hydrated and make it feel soft and supple. It can also reduce dry and dull skin, as it acts as a natural exfoliator and can help reveal the new skin underneath and improve your skin complexion.
- The polyphenols in raw honey can help prevent heart diseases and boost immune system functioning.
- Raw honey is supposed to be beneficial for those suffering with a sore throat or cough and consuming raw honey can help relieve the pain of the sore throat and the symptoms of the cough.
- Raw honey can work as dextromethorphan, which is a common ingredient used in most of the over-the-counter cough medications.
Do not give raw honey to infants or babies, as it can be harmful to their health and it can have side-effects. Also, though raw honey is safe to use and consume, some people may have reactions. Therefore, consume it in smaller quantities for first time consumption to check for reactions.