Have you ever experienced those painful razor burns or had to walk around with a few razor cuts until they healed? Well, that clearly indicates that you have shaved without using shaving cream!
What are shaving creams and why are they necessary?
Shaving creams are products that can be used by both men and women for the preparation of the skin before shaving. It hydrates and lubricates the skin, to promote a smooth shaving process free from razor burns or razor cuts. Shaving creams come in the form of creams, gels, and foams.
The main purpose behind using shaving cream is because the shaving cream acts as a protective layer between the razor and the skin, ensuring smooth shaving with less friction.
Important tips while shaving:
- Use a sharp razor and make sure the razor blade is not rusted.
- Hydrate your skin before shaving, which means you should wet your skin with water before using any shaving cream.
- Apply a layer of shaving cream/gel or foam generously.
- For the legs, shave in long and steady strokes against the direction of the hair growth.
- For the face, since hair grows in many directions, shave both with and against the grain.
- Rinse your blade after each stroke.
- Wash the area with plain water once you finish the shaving process.
- Moisturize the area with a moisturizer or an after shave (for the face).
- Rinse the razor thoroughly with water and store in a dry place to prevent rusting of the blades.
Here are the benefits of some common ingredients used in homemade shaving creams:
1. Cocoa butter: Cocoa butter is considered to be an emollient or moisturizer and acts as a protective layer for the skin while shaving.
2. Coconut oil: Coconut oil can soothe the skin and provide a smooth surface to make shaving easier. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can protect the skin.
3. Aloe vera gel: Aloe vera gel is gentle on the skin and moisturizes the skin while providing an antiseptic effect.
4. Shea butter: Shea butter has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce shaving rashes and soothes skin irritation.
Here are four DIY homemade recipes to make shaving cream at home:
1. Coconut oil and shea butter shaving cream:
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup shea butter
10 drops of any essential oil
2 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel
Melt the coconut oil and shea butter in a heating pot and let it sit for 5 to 6 minutes off the flame once completely melted. Then add in the essential oil and stir well. Keep this mixture in the fridge until the mixture solidifies. Then remove from the fridge once solid, add in the aloe vera gel and whisk using an electric whisk or an immersion blender until it is smooth and the texture becomes like a cream. Pour the contents into a storage container and store in a cool and dry place.
2. Shea butter and almond oil shaving cream:
¼ cup aloe vera
¼ cup shea butter
3 tbsp liquid castile soap
2 tbsp almond oil
Melt the aloe vera and shea butter in a heating pot and let it sit for 5 to 6 minutes. Off the flame once completely melted. Then add in the liquid castile soap and almond oil and stir well. Keep this mixture in the fridge until the mixture solidifies. Then remove from the fridge once solid, whisk using an electric whisk or an immersion blender until it is smooth and the texture becomes like a cream. Pour the contents into a storage container and store them in a cool and dry place. READ MORE – DIY OVERNIGHT HAIR SPRAY TO STOP HAIR FALL
Tip: The longer you whisk it for, the better and creamier the texture.
3. Aloe vera and coconut oil shaving gel:
1 tsp castile soap
2 tsp aloe vera gel
Into a small mixing bowl, add in the coconut oil and aloe vera gel and mix it well, until a smooth texture is got, without any lumps.
You can increase or decrease the quantities as per your requirements and also store the excess in a container.
4. Shampoo and coconut oil shaving foam:
50 ml shampoo
¼ cup water
1 tbsp moisturizer
1 tsp coconut oil
Into an empty bottle, add in the shampoo, moisturizer, and coconut oil and mix well. Then little by little add in the water and shake well, until the consistency becomes foamy. It is then ready to use. READ MORE – 10 NATURAL ORGANIC DIY SHAMPOO RECIPES FOR HEALTHY HAIR GROWTH