All I’ve been reading over the internet lately when it comes to clear healthy skin is to use “Retinol”. Retinol is one of the best ingredients to use in your skincare routine but the downside of retinol is that it is highly potent and if used incorrectly can damage your skin.
However, there is a new ingredient that is not only equally as strong as retinol but also vegan, natural, and safe to be used on all skin types.
What is Bakuchiol?
Bakuchiol is nothing but a plant-based ingredient or plant extract that is now known to be a “natural alternative” to retinol.
For those of you who do not know what retinol is – it is a common skincare ingredient and can be found in many over-the-counter skincare products like include serums, moisturizers etc.
Retinol can help boost collagen (the protein essential for healthy joints and skin and is known to be one of the most produced proteins in the human body) production, by penetrating deep into the epidermis (protective outer layer of the skin) to the dermis (middle layer of the skin). It can help reduce acne, and skin texture, brighten the skin, reduce hyperpigmentation (dark patches on the skin), reduce fine lines, and wrinkles and have anti-aging properties.
But retinol can sometimes be quite harsh on the skin and there are chances that the skin can over time get used to this ingredient and it may not have any effects after a while. Then, the only way out is to increase the amount of retinol you are using on your skin, in order to see changes, but this may not be the best option for your skin.
Well, what can as good and powerful as retinol, but a much gentler alternative? Bakuchiol! Yes, there you have it! This simple natural plant-based ingredient is the best and most effective alternative to retinol.
MAIN BENEFITS: Wrinkle reduction, increases skin firmness, and reduces the appearance of pores.
WHO SHOULD USE IT: safe for all skin types.
HOW OFTEN CAN YOU USE IT: It’s safe to use it twice a day.
WORKS WELL WITH: Other hydrating ingredients, like squalane and PHAs.
Benefits of Bakuchiol for the skin:
- Can help even out skin tone: Bakuchiol can penetrate deep into the skin and thus reduce dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Can help boost cell regeneration: Using bakuchiol on the skin can help improve cell turnover (the body’s natural process of cell regeneration).
- Reduces signs of aging: It can help reduce signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles etc.
- It can help promote better skin health: It can help promote better skin health and can soothe the skin.
- It works well on any skin type: Many people have sensitive skin and that’s why bakuchiol is a great ingredient as it is mild and gentle on all skin types.
- It will not cause any skin irritation or dryness: Since bakuchiol is mild, it is gentle on the skin and will not cause any skin irritation or dryness.
How to use Bakuchiol for your skin?
To use bakuchiol on your skin, there are many products that contain this ingredient (similar to how you get products that contain retinol), which you can use as part of your skincare routine.