Do you sometimes have to go out for a party at night but happened to have returned home late from the gym or work and got no time to wash, blow dry and style your hair? Or are you someone who lives in a place with tropical climate all year round and find your hair greasy and sticky within just a day after it’s washed? Well, you’re on the right page and dry shampoo can do you good!
What is Dry Shampoo?
Dry Shampoo is a hair product which uses less or no water, to reduce hair greasiness and can be applied on dry hair with a brush or through an aerosol spray to avoid washing of hair every day, as it can remove the natural oils from the hair and make it drier. Dry shampoo can help remove the sebum from your hair and make the greasy hair look dry and fresher.
Benefits of Dry Shampoo:
1. Makes your hair look voluminous:
Dry shampoo gives your hair a little bit of a bounce, as it reduces the oily texture and boosts volume, especially if you have thin hair.
2. Decreases the heat damage, by avoiding blow drying:
Most people blow dry their hair if they have no time to let it dry naturally or to set their washed hair with a better style. Excessive use of heat in the long run will damage the hair beyond repair and also make it look dry.
3. Convenient and easy to use:
If you are one who travels very often or someone who exercises on a daily basis, washing your hair every day may become a hassle. Using dry shampoo can help to lengthen the time between two washes.
4. Dry shampoo absorbs the oil from the hair:
Dry shampoo helps the hair look less greasy and absorbs the natural oils (produced by your scalp) from your hair. READ MORE – 10 NATURAL ORGANIC DIY SHAMPOO RECIPES FOR HEALTHY HAIR GROWTH
DIY Recipes for dry shampoo:
Dry shampoo Powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp corn starch or rice flour
- Rosemary or peppermint essential oil ( optional)
Take equal quantities of both unsweetened cocoa powder and corn starch and add it to a bowl and gently blend it together. Add in the essential oil that will help with hair fall and promote hair growth. You can then store it in a small container with a screw top lid.
For application on the hair, you can take a large or medium powder brush and dip it in the dry shampoo mixture, dusting off the excess and then touch it up to the areas of your scalp where you find it excessively greasy. Let it sit for a few minutes and then you can gently massage it in with your fingers.
Dry shampoo spray :
- 4 tbsp arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 4 tbsp rubbing alcohol
- 1 tsp of cocoa powder ( optional, for darker hair )
- 10 – 12 drops of essential oil (any flavour of your choice)
- ½ cup of water
In a bowl, add the arrowroot powder/corn starch, with the rubbing alcohol and blend well, add the essential oil and water to it and mix well. Using a funnel, transfer the contents into a spray bottle and it is ready to use. Remember to shake the bottle well, before application, keeping the nozzle 4 to 6 inches away from your hair. READ MORE – CASTOR OIL RICE WATER HAIR SPRAY for thicker hair growth
Here are some tips for using dry shampoo:
- If you’re using an aerosol can, remember to shake the can before you use, for better results, as the starch content in the aerosol spray can settle at the bottom.
- Hold the aerosol spray around 4 to 6 inches away from your hair while spraying and keep moving it, so the spray doesn’t repeatedly land in one section of your hair.
- Apply only on the greasiest areas and do not overuse the product, as too much application will make your hair look discolored or dull in colour.
- After it has been used, let it sit for a few minutes and then you can massage it into your scalp, for better results.
Dry Shampoo is not the solution to washing your hair (as no hair product can be over used), but it can be used as a quick fix and temporary solution, whenever required.