Water is well known as the elixir of life. It can keep your skin hydrated, improve its elasticity and prevent acne and breakouts. It is also a natural detoxifier, helps flush out toxins, carry nutrients and oxygen to the cells, prevents constipation, aids digestion, protects the organs and tissues and can also help normalize blood pressure. It is the best “energy drink” you can have. But there are a lot of people whose intake of water is lesser than required. Here are some ingredients you can add into your water which will make you feel like sipping on it more often and in turn give your skin that natural glow and younger look!
Chia seeds: The alpha-lenoleic acids present in these seeds can help in reducing the dryness of skin and thus improve the quality of skin. Being a rich source of antioxidants, they can help prevent premature ageing of skin caused due to free radical damage.
Recipe: In a glass of water, soak 1 tsp of chia seeds and leave it covered for 10-15 mins. You can consume it in the morning on an empty stomach. After consuming this water, wait half an hour before eating or drinking anything else.
Watch the full video here –
1. Cucumber and mint water: Cucumber hydrates your skin and helps firm saggy skin due to presence of silica. It also reduces inflammation and helps soothe irritated skin leaving it glowing from within.
- 500 ml filtered water
- 10 – 12 slices of cucumber
- 10 – 12 mint leaves or 1 tsp of chia seeds
- Honey (to taste)
Method: Blend 1/2 a cucumber with 2 cups of water along with mint leaves and strain to a jar. Add in the chia seeds and let it sit for few mins until the seeds swell. Give it a stir and the drink is ready to consume. You can also keep it in the fridge to cool and then drink it after it is cool.
2. Hibiscus: hibiscus stimulates collagen production that is important for healthy skin. The presence of antioxidants in the Hibiscus flower helps fights free radicals in your skin while preventing breakouts and also reducing the appearance of fine lines.
Recipe: Add dried hibiscus flowers to a cup of hot water and leave it covered for 5 mins. Strain the flower and sip on it warmly or add ice for a cold brew.
4. Cumin seeds water: Vitamin A in cumin keeps your skin healthy and glowing.
- 1 glass of water
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp honey (optional or as per your taste)
- 1½ tsp lemon juice (optional or as per your taste)
In a vessel, heat one glass of water and bring it to a boil. When the water is boiling, add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds to it and let it continue to boil for 1½ to 2 minutes, till all the flavor of the cumin is infused in the water. Turn off the heat and let it cool, bring it to room temperature. Strain the cumin water into the glass and add 1 tsp of honey and 1½ tsp of lemon juice, which is purely optional. Also note, the ajwain can be dry roasted till the seeds start to crack open and then the glass of water can be added, with the same process followed.
5. Ginger: Rich in antioxidants, ginger along with lemon flushes out toxins to clear the gut for healthy skin. It improves the natural complexion and fights any skin infection.
Recipe: Add in 2 small pieces of dried or fresh ginger and simmer the water for 3-4 mins. Strain the ginger and squeeze half a lemon inti. Drink it early morning on an empty stomach. After consuming this water, wait half an hour before eating or drinking anything else.
6. Citrus drink: Your skin needs a daily dose of vitamin C, Vitamin C helps treat acne spots and pigmentation by stimulating collagen synthesis, thereby promoting healthy skin and accelerating the healing of scars and wounds.
you will need :
- 500 ml filtered water
- 10 – 12 slices of orange/grapefruit
- Juice of one whole lemon
(Or 5 to 6 lemon slices)
- Honey (to taste)
Take a jar or bottle of 500 ml filtered water and add in the slices of orange/grapefruit, lemon juice or lemon slices and honey. Give it a stir and let it infuse for 2-3 hours. You can also keep it in the fridge to cool and then drink it after it is cool. Strain out how much water you want to consume or sip with a straw directly, but do not remove the orange/grapefruit slices, lemon slices (if you put in slices), as it will continue to soak in and infuse into the water. READ MORE – Amla water to boost immunity, brighten skin, stop hair fall and more
Tip: There are also other variations you can make of this drink. Or you can skip out these fruits and add in some of these – watermelon cubes/slices, red or green apples cubes/slices, pieces of chopped strawberries, pineapple cubes or even kiwi slices.