While choosing your skincare products, the list of ingredients can be quite confusing and perhaps misleading at times. So, if you are wondering what to look for while choosing your creams and serums especially for treating undesired marks on the face, this post is certainly going to help you! Keep reading to know the best skin care ingredients that can be used in your night time skincare routine to get rid of scars and marks :
A form of Vitamin B3 and also called Nicotinamide, Niacinamide benefits your skin in a variety of ways like:
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that help treat skin conditions like pimples, rosacea and acne.
- Topical application of Niacinamide helps control sebum secretion, thereby making it perfect for acne-prone skin.
- It helps the skin in producing ceramides that not only seal in moisture, but also helps minimize fine lines and age spots.
- It makes skin look youthful and plump by boosting collagen production.
- It protects the skin against pollution and UV rays of the sun, thus preventing skin damage, tanning and pigmentation.
To use – Before bed, wash your face with a mild cleanser and apply niacinamide followed by a good moisturizer. You can also use niacinamide while using retinol for a powerful skin care routine.
An Alpha Hydroxy Acid or AHA known for its exfoliating and hydrating properties, lactic acid is available in plenty in dairy products. Topical application of lactic acid allows you to benefit a lot, as follows:
- It removes dead skin cells and accelerates skin renewal process, thereby imparting clear complexion. It has anti-aging effects on the skin as well.
- It helps fight sun damage and prevents wrinkles and hyper-pigmentation in the process.
- It helps fade age spots, dark spots, acne marks and freckles.
To use – Wash your face with a mild cleanser and apply lactic acid for 10 mins, follow up with a good moisturizer.
Kojic acid helps improve the appearance of your skin because of the following benefits associated with it:
- It has anti-bacterial properties that combat skin infections and acne.
- It protects the skin from harmful ultra violet rays and helps fade age spots and fine lines, thus making skin look younger and complexion clearer.
- It is efficient in treating dark patches caused by hormonal imbalance or melasma.
To use – You can use kojic acid on its own or if you have sensitive skin then mix it with your favorite moisturizer before applying it. Use a good sunscreen in the morning to protect your skin.
This ingredient is effective in treating rosacea and acne and is helpful in removing scars caused as a result of these skin conditions. Check out the benefits of Azelaic acid for skin:
- Its anti-bacterial properties help do away with acne
- It unclogs pores and removes dead skin cells.
- It treats hyper-pigmentation and removes scars.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties help soothe rosacea, redness and acne, without irritating sensitive skin.
To use – After face wash, apply a layer of cream on the scars and spots. Also, apply a thin layer on your face and massage it in. Use it every night for the best results.
Rosehip oil, that contains fatty acids along with Vitamin A and Vitamin C, is efficient in improving skin discoloration and scars. Check out the benefits of rosehip oil below:
- It helps reverse sun damage and reduces hyper-pigmentation.
- It treats acne.
- It helps reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scars.
To use – Massage your face and body with rosehip oil before bed to treat your skin overnight.