Have you ever heard of the saying “big things come in small packages”? Well, the benefits of these tiny seeds called “kalonji or black seeds” are the perfect example of this saying!
Kalonji seeds, also known as black seeds or Nigella seeds are widely renowned and known for their benefits to hair growth and hair health.
So, if you haven’t tried using these seeds for your hair, then start using them right away and begin to reap its benefits within no time!
Here are the benefits of using kalonji seeds on the hair:
- Can help improve hair shine and texture: Kalonji seeds help to nourish the hair and can promote hair shine. Kalonji seeds can be added into your shampoo as well or used directly on the scalp to help improve hair texture, promote hair shine and increase hair volume.
- It can promote hair growth and reduce hair thinning: Kalonji seeds are rich in nutrients which can help provide nourishment to the hair follicles in turn restoring hair growth. Kalonji seeds contain omega-3s which helps in increasing the blood circulation in the scalp in turn promoting hair growth and reducing hair fall. These seeds contain a phytochemical compound called ‘thymoquinone’ that contains proteins, alkaloids and saponins that can help boost hair growth and slow down the aging process of cells and can thereby prevent hair thinning. Thymoquinone has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce hair fall which is caused due to inflammation of hair follicles.
- It acts as a hair conditioner and can prevent hair damage: Kalonji seeds can help normalize the sebum (oil) production in the scalp and can help ensure that the scalp and hair is well-conditioned and not too greasy at the same time. The amino acids in the kalonji seeds can help moisturize the hair shaft and reduce frizz, making the hair more manageable and prevent hair damage.
- It can regulate any imbalance in the hair growth cycle: Hair growth usually occurs in three stages of hair growth and hair shedding, which are the anagen, catagen and telogen stages. Any disruption in the hair growth cycle can cause hair to fall. Kalonji seed oil can help regulate any imbalances in the hair growth cycle and activate the hair follicles to promote proper hair growth.
- It can help reduce dandruff and promote better scalp health: Kalonji seeds have anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties which can keep bacteria away from the scalp and can promote better scalp health. It can also help reduce and treat scalp issues like dandruff and reduce dry scalp, by keeping the scalp moisturized and maintains the body’s natural sebum (oil) production.
- Helpful to prevent premature greying of hair: Kalonji seeds also have linoleic acid which can help prevent premature greying of hair, as the linoleic acid helps prevent the depletion of the pigment cells in the hair follicles.
What’s the best way to use kalonji seeds on your hair?
These seeds are edible and can be used in your cooking. You can also get black seeds oil or kalonji oil that can be used in your cooking. Kalonji seeds can be used for flavoring curries, dal, stir-fried vegetables, and even savories.
Well, what’s better than a good kalonji seed hair oil to massage into your scalp and hair, right? Guess, what, this super simple recipe is one you can make at home. Check it out below.
Here’s how you can make a DIY homemade black seed hair oil:
- 2 tbsp black seeds
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp castor oil
Into a mixer grinder, add in the black seeds and grind into a fine powder. Then into an empty container, add in the ground black seeds, coconut oil and castor oil and mix it well. Then, screw on the lid tightly and keep this container in a dry and dark place for 2 weeks for the black seeds to get infused into the oils. Then, after 2 weeks, strain the black seed oil into another container using a fine mesh strainer. The oil is then ready to use.
To apply on the hair:
Partition your hair and apply this oil evenly onto your scalp and hair. Then, gently massage this oil into your scalp using circular motions for 5 to 10 minutes. Let it sit for half an hour to one hour before rinsing off with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
Black seeds hair spray –
View this post on Instagram
- You can also make this oil warm before using it on your scalp and hair for better penetration and absorption.
- You can also leave this oil on your head overnight for better effects.