BEST TIPS FOR LONGER STRONGER NAILS
Do you find that your nails aren’t growing long or do you find that your nails get chipped off very easily? Well, maybe you’ve not taken good care of your nail health.
What could be the reasons behind your nails not having a healthy growth?
- Biting your nails: There are a lot of people who have the habit of biting their nails, especially out of anxiety. This practice is unhealthy for the body as it can cause bacterial infections and at the same time, prevent nails from growing.
- Illnesses: Certain times when our body experiences any type of stress or illness which can span a period of time, this can inhibit nail growth temporarily.
- Lack of proper diet: A lot of people suffer from brittle nails and this could be another reason your nails do not grow out properly, as it breaks off. Your diet plays an important in this aspect., where your diet could be lacking the nutrients and minerals important for nail health, like iron, zinc, protein.
- Lack of hydration: When the body isn’t properly hydrated it can make the nail plate weak and cause it to become brittle and also make it look dull.
Here are some tips that can help boost nail health:
1. Stay hydrated:
Just how water can be helpful to most of our health problems, it can also benefit nail health. Brittle nails are a sign of lack of hydration and therefore, drinking sufficient water can help the nails retain adequate moisture and avoid it from becoming brittle, causing it to break easily.
2. Garlic Nail serum:
Make a nail growth serum with garlic, garlic is rich in selenium that is essential for nail growth. Mash 2-3 garlic pods and add them to a glass jar. Fill the jar with jojoba oil or any other face oil of your choice. Massage this oil on your nails every night before going to bed to grow longer, stronger nails.
3. Biotin and Folic acid:
Biotin is a vitamin, also known as vitamin B7 that is essential in promoting healthy cell growth and can aid metabolism of protein-building amino acids that can promote better nail growth. Biotin also helps strengthen nails and reduce brittle nails.
Folic acid, also known as vitamin B9 is key in repairing the cells that make up the nails. It can help make your nails stronger and promote quicker growth of nails. It can also prevent the nails from breakage and from becoming brittle.
Therefore, consuming foods rich in biotin (like foods rich in biotin like eggs, nuts, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, cheese, cauliflower etc) and folic acid (like green leafy vegetables, bananas, tomatoes, legumes, whole grains etc) or consuming biotin or folic acid supplements can enhance and promote better nail health. READ MORE – 10 Best oils for all skin types
4. Wear gloves when doing chores:
Those who tend to do more of the household chores like washing the dishes, the nails get exposed to water for long hours and it can get waterlogged. The more water the nails absorb, the weaker it can become, leading it to crack and become brittle. Therefore, it is advisable to use gloves to avoid direct water contact and also direct contact with the harsh chemicals used in the dish washing detergents, that can make the nails become dry.
5. Eating the right types of food:
Your diet and the foods you consume plays an essential role in overall health, which includes nail health as well. Consuming foods rich in nutrients can increase nail growth, nail strength and make the nails look heathier. Here are some foods that are essential to have in your diet – eggs, legumes, oats, seeds, fish, berries, citrus fruits etc.
6. Nail care home remedies:
Rubbing lemon juice, coconut or olive oil on your nails and fingertips and massaging it in, can help reduce nail dryness and keep your nails well moisturized and prevent nail breakage and increase nail strength and nail growth.
Add 1 tbsp. of baking soda into a bowl of water and add in 1 tbsp. of hydrogen peroxide or lemon juice to it. Soak your nails in it for 10 mins and using a soft baby brush scrub your nails to remove stains and whiten your nails. READ MORE – Top 5 hair oils to stop hair fall and grow thicker hair
7. Having a proper nail care routine:
Nail grooming is very important as it can help boost nail strength and help maintain nail health. Here are some ways to nail groom:
- Cut and clean your nails regularly and avoid dirt collecting in them, as it can cause bacterial growth under your nail.
- Use sharp nail cutter or nail clippers to cut your nails from time to time, because having nails which are too long can cause it to break more easily.
- Moisturize your hands and nails (especially at the cuticles).