Each hair porosity is different and thus requires different methods of hair care. Each hair porosity requires a different kind of hair product to suit it and thus it is essential to not just know your hair porosity, but also know what to use and how to take care of your hair.
In this article we’ll talk about how to care for hair that is highly porous.
What is high porosity hair?
High porosity hair absorbs moisture in quickly, but can lose its moisture very easily causing hygral fatigue. Which means this kind of hair type can dry out quite fast.
How do you know if your hair is highly porous?
You could check out some of the characteristics of highly porous hair to know your hair’s porosity.
Here are the characteristics of high porosity hair:
- Will easily let hair products penetrate into the hair shaft, because it is highly porous, which actually means that the hair cuticle is damaged.
- Will make it easier for the hair to get damaged, break, cause split ends to appear and make the hair look dry, rough and frizzy, especially when it is humid.
- Will dry hair out quickly after you have had a head bath.
- Will make hair treatments like dyeing etc., act more quickly compared to those with low and normal porosity hair types. But the treatments will not have effect for long time, as the cuticles are open.
Best Hair Care Methods of High Porosity Hair:
1. Use highly moisturizing products:
Since high porosity hair lets go of moisture easily, using highly moisturizing products can help soak up the hair with more moisture and reduce hair damage.
2. Make sure to condition post hair wash:
Skipping your hair conditioning step after a hair wash is something high porosity haired people should never do because highly porous hair requires all the moisture it can get from any source. So, feed it with sufficient moisture.
3. Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase:
If you sleep on a cotton pillowcase, the cotton fabric will tend to absorb and draw out al the hair’s moisture and the hair’s natura oils, thus making the hair further dry and void of moisture. Therefore, switch to using a silk or satin pillowcase.
4. Avoid shampooing your hair too often:
Shampooing your hair too often can lead the hair to become super dry and will tend to get damaged even more easily. Thus, do not wash highly porous hair too often. Twice or thrice a week should suffice, with sufficient conditioning thereafter.
5. Get regular hair trims:
Since highly porous hair gets dry and damaged easily, there tends to be more breakage and split ends and thus, having frequent hair trims can avoid further hair damage.
6. Look out for harmful ingredients in shampoos:
Always check the ingredient list and look out for shampoos that do not contain parabens, sulfates etc., that can further dry out and damage the hair as they are harmful ingredients.