If there’s one thing we use on a daily basis, well, it is our towels. Be it a hand towel or a bath towel, we must admit that are repeated usage, it does develop a slight odor, could be a little stiff and may not be as absorbent as it was earlier because of its regular washing.
So, what do you do then? You may ask. Well, there’s a way out as always and I’m here to tell you how you can get soft and fresh towels without having to buy new ones!
Keeping Towels soft and Fluffy Longer – Regular Washings
- Fill your washing machine about ½ – ¾ full of towels.
- Set the water temperature to hot and wash on the cycle recommended for towels by the manufacturer.
- Pour one cup of white distilled vinegar into your fabric softener dispenser and one cup of baking soda directly into the machine and run a wash cycle.
- Run them through a cycle in the dryer on the setting recommended by the towel manufacturer. U can also use tennis balls or wool balls to fluff the towels or just dry them out in the sun.
Getting Rid of Buildup, odor and makes your towels super soft.
You maybe wondering as to what buildup collects on towels? Well, there could be detergent buildup, body oil buildup, dirt, odour, other laundry product buildups etc. This results in flat, non-absorbent and stiff towels. Thus, there are two ways to get rid of this buildup –
1. Double wash your towels: This method is effective for newer towels, with lesser buildup formation. It can help get rid of detergent or any other laundry product buildups, boy oil buildup, stale odour etc. It is also a lesser time-consuming method and is gentle on the towel fabric.
Thus, it is recommended that you double wash your towels (new or old) once every 2-3 months.
2. Strip wash your towels: This method is effective for older towels, with more buildup formation. It can help get rid of excessive detergent or any other laundry product buildups, excessive body oil buildup, stale and bad odour etc. It is more time-consuming method and is hard on the towel fabric.
Thus, it is recommended that you strip wash your towels (new or old) only once in a year or twice a year.
How to double-wash towels the right way?
Step 1: Into your washing machine, add in the towels along with 2 cups of white of white vinegar (pour it into the detergent dispenser area).
Note: Do not add any detergent, fabric softener or any other laundry product.
Step 2: On the hot cycle, on the longest run setting, wash your towels.
Step 3: Once the first cycle has run, let your towels remain in the washing machine. You will need to do a second wash. This time, add in 1 cup of baking soda, along with your regular laundry detergent.
Step 4: Again on the hot cycle, on the longest run setting, wash your towels.
Step 5: Air dry your towels, until fully dry.
How to strip-wash towels the right way?
Step 1: Into a large tub or bucket, add in ¼ cup of borax (or baking soda), ¼ cup of washing soda, along with ½ a cup of your regular liquid laundry detergent. Top up the tub or bucket with hot water and let the powders and detergent dissolve. Then, add in the towels and let them soak for four to five hours. Make sure that the towels are fully saturated in the water.
Step 2: Once the soaking time is done, drain out the water andon the hot cycle, on the longest run setting in your washing machine, wash your towels with only water.
Step 3: Air dry your towels, until fully dry.
Note: Make sure to patch or spot test darker colored towels before using this method, as borax and washing soda could cause the towels (dye) to lighten.
Tips to Use for Double-washing or Strip-washing Towels
- Always sort white towels, light and dark and colored towels. Wash them separately.
- Make sure to use hot water (hottest setting on your washing machine) to wash your towels. This helps kill bacteria, germs and any allergens. It can also help loosen out and dissolve any dirt, grime and buildup collected on the towels.
- In case your towels have any stains, treat and remove the stains before washing them.
- Air drying your towels after double-washing or strip-washing them is always recommended.