Hair is the crowning glory to everyone and in the present day, there are a lot of people experiencing hair fall due to various reasons like dandruff, scalp infections, lifestyle, improper diet, use of hair products and hair treatments, hair styling on a regular basis, pollution, water used for head showers, over exposure to sunlight or heat etc. Experiencing hair fall can be very distressing. Here are Ayurvedic solutions to help treat hair fall and enhance your hair growth.
1. Fenugreek and coconut milk hair mask: promotes hair growth, reduces greying and balding and makes the hair naturally darker. It also keeps the hair lustrous and healthy.
- 2 tbsp fenugreek/methi powder
- 2 tbsp coconut milk or yogurt
In a mixing bowl add in the fenugreek powder and coconut milk and mix into a fine and smooth paste. Dry roast the fenugreek seeds on a pan until they are slightly golden brown and then turn off the flame. Do not burn them. Then in a mixer grinder, grind the roasted seeds into a fine and smooth powder. You can add in little extra coconut milk if you feel that your paste is too thick and you aren’t able to get the fine and smooth consistency. Then let it sit for an hour. After an hour, mix it well again (the paste would have slightly thickened) and apply it evenly on your scalp and hair using a brush preferably. Tie your hair into a loose bun or cover your head with a shower cap and let it sit for half an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Pat dry your hair using a towel.
2. Amla hair mask: treats dandruff, strengthens hair and promotes hair growth while clearing the build-up of impurities from scalp and reducing itchiness
- 2 tsp amla powder
- 1 – 2 tbsp hot water
In a mixing bowl add in the amla powder and hot water little by little until the mixture liquidizes and become a fine and smooth paste. Do not add the water all at once, as your mixture might become too liquidy and not like a paste.
Apply this mixture evenly on your scalp and hair using a brush preferably. Tie your hair into a loose bun or cover your head with a shower cap and let it sit for 20 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Pat dry your hair using a towel.
For best results, using this hair pack twice a week will help you get better results. READ MORE – NATURAL HAIR GROWTH SHAMPOO
3. Bhringraj, coconut milk and aloe vera gel hair mask: prevents premature greying, loss of hair and lice, and helps in thicker hair growth.
- 3 tsp bhringraj powder
- 2 tsp thick coconut milk or coconut milk cream (recipes below)
- 1 tsp aloe vera gel
In a mixing bowl add 3 tsp bhringraj powder, 2 tsp coconut milk or coconut milk cream and 1 tsp of aloe vera gel. Mix well into a fine paste and apply it on your scalp and hair evenly using a brush preferably. Tie your hair into a loose bun or cover your head with a shower cap and let it sit for half an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Pat dry your hair using a towel.
- When applying these hair masks, partition your hair, so application will be easier and it will spread on your scalp and hair more evenly.
- When applying it on your hair, use downward strokes from the top of your hair to the tip.
- If you wish to check whether these hair packs agree with your skin type (as it being applied on the scalp as well), you can first do a patch test.
4. Ayurveda Hair growth oil:
- 1½ cup coconut oil
- 10 – 12 neem leaves
- 4 – 5 petals of hibiscus flower
- 4 – 5 pieces of aloe vera leaf
How to make this oil:
In a pan, add in the coconut oil (if you get freshly extracted coconut oil, it is preferable) and let it get heated up, on a low flame. Then add in the neem leaves and wait for few minutes until the leaves start to shrivel up. Then add in the roughly shredded petals of the hibiscus flower and pieces of aloe vera and let all these ingredients get soaked into the oil. Let it heat up for a few more minutes and then you can turn off the flame and let it sit for a few minutes, so that the ingredients get infused into the coconut oil. Then strain this oil into container using a muslin cloth.
How to apply:
Partition your hair and apply this oil evenly on the scalp and hair and gently massage it in, using circular motions. Tie your hair into a loose bun and let it sit for half an hour, before washing off with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Pat dry your hair using a towel. READ MORE – OVERNIGHT HAIR SPRAY to stop hair fall, thinning hair and regrow thicker hair