If you are looking for a drink that can help give your body a good detox, while also promoting your physical health, then this drink is for you!
I’m sure you’ve heard of the winter melon, white pumpkin or wax gourd. Well, if you have come across any one of these names, then you can be sure you’ve heard about ash gourd.
Ash gourd is a light green vegetable with a waxy coating that comes with white pulp on the inside. It has many benefits to health and is often used in dishes or added while making juices.
Here’s how ash gourd can benefit your health:
- It can help promote weight loss as it contains a lot of fiber and is low in calories which makes digestion slower and promotes a sense of fullness, reducing appetite.
- It helps boost energy levels and increases the body’s metabolic rate.
- It helps relieve constipation and bloating. Can also help relieve piles and boils (both internal and external).
- Consuming ash gourd is known to reduce and cure stomach ulcers.
- Helps treat health issues like anxiety and insomnia.
- Has anti-coagulant properties that can help stop excessive bleeding in people who consume blood thinners, by helping thicken the blood.
- Can be used to regulate bowel movements.
- Helps promote sharpness and makes the mind more alert.
- Can help get rid of scalp conditions like dandruff.
- Helps treat skin conditions, because it has a cooling effect.
How to make ash gourd juice at home:
- 250 grams ash gourd
- ½ cup of water
- Pepper and salt to taste (optional)
- ¼ tsp lemon juice (per glass of juice – optional)
Wash the ash gourd under running water and cut it into four quarters. Remove the skin of one quarter (around 250 grams) and cut off the portion that has the seeds, so that only the white pulp remains.
Then, chop up the pulp of the ash gourd into medium-sized pieces and grind it in a mixer, until there are no lumps. Add in the water along with some pepper and salt to taste (optional) and give it a quick grind.
Strain the juice out into a glass, using a fine-mesh strainer or a muslin cloth. It is ready to consume.
Tip: Make sure to consume the ash gourd juice within 15 minutes after its preparation, to get the most and best effects of its benefits.
Side-effects of overconsumption of ash gourd juice:
It is important to note that you should not overconsume ash gourd juice as it can cause phlegm formation. So people with asthma, bronchitis, or any other health problems can consult a nutritionist before consuming this drink.
Ash gourd does contain a lot of minerals and therefore if you overconsume this drink, it can increase the toxicity levels in your body.
It is advisable that pregnant and lactating mothers consult a doctor before consuming this drink.
When can you drink ash gourd juice?
Ash gourd juice is best consumed on an empty stomach early morning, after which a gap of half an hour is kept before consuming any food or other beverage, in order to get the best effects.