Has your volume of hair reduced over the years? Well, you must be one of those suffering from the common problem of hair thinning. Hair thinning is nothing but minor to moderate hair fall, over the years. Many of us face the problem of hair thinning as we grow older because of various reasons like genetics, age, pregnancy and childbirth, improper hair care routines, use of hair care products often, styling of hair often, use of hair dyes, scalp infections like dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, etc.
One of the best ways to prevent hair thinning is by using the age-old technique called ‘Scalp Massage’. I’m sure this is known to many, but practiced only by some.
What’s a scalp massage?
A scalp massage is typically done without oil and simply by using one’s fingertips. But people do use oil to enhance the effect of the massage. Scalp massages usually focus on stimulating the hair follicles to enhance hair growth, by dilating the blood vessels beneath the skin.
3 ways to scalp massage:
1. Traditional scalp massage: This scalp massage is just using only the fingertips, in circular motions and without the usage of oil.
2. Head massage in the shower: This massage is once you have shampooed your hair, use your fingertips to massage your scalp using circular motions.
3.Traditional oil massage: This scalp massage involves the application of warm oil evenly all over the scalp and then massaging it in, using circular motions. READ MORE – Ayurveda shampoo to stop hair fall
Benefits of scalp massages:
- Can provide relief from anxiety, stress and can help treat insomnia by promoting better sleep.
- Improves blood circulation on the scalp and can promote hair growth and strength to the hair follicles.
- Can help relieve headaches, migraines, neck pain and shoulder pain.
- Can prevent hair loss and premature greying of hair.
- Relaxes the muscles and promote quicker healing and preventing inflammatory diseases.
- Promotes rejuvenation of the body and mind by promoting a sense of calmness and stillness, also reducing tiredness and fatigue.
Steps to be followed to scalp massage the right way:
Step 1: From the sides of the head, right from the temple up to the crown of the head, work your way up massaging your scalp with gentle and circular motions, but with sufficient application of pressure. Do this four to five times and then reverse the direction by starting at the crown of the head and downwards up to the temples and repeat, four to five times.
Step 2: Once that portion is over, massage your entire scalp using circular motions and just using your fingertips.
Step 3: After completing that step, using your palms gently squeeze your palms against your temples and move in circular motions. Do not apply too much pressure.
Step 4: Once that step has been completed, tilt your head downwards and massage your head from your crown downwards up to the neck region and then reverse the direction. Repeat this in both directions four to five times.
Step 5: Lastly, interlock your palms together and pressing downwards with slight pressure move your interlocked hands all over your scalp. You can then relax for 10 to 15 minutes once you have finished off the scalp massage.
For those who wish to use oil, follow these additional steps: Start with heating up the required amount of oil in a small bowl. Let the oil be warm and not too hot. Heating up the oil stimulates blood circulation and can lead to better distribution of nutrients to the hair follicles and promotes faster hair growth and hair strengthening. READ MORE –Top 10 best hair oils – benefits and how to use
Then, take some of this warm oil into your palms, partition your hair and apply this evenly on your scalp using your fingertips or a cotton pad. You can add in few drops of peppermint or rosemary essential oils for added benefits. Then for the scalp massage, you can follow the steps given above. Lastly, after the scalp massage relax for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner to get the oil off.