Are you fed up of those pesky pests around your house and have tried most of the store bought insect repellents? You can try out some of these natural homemade pest repellents to get rid of these troublesome insects!
1. Ant Spray: This method is beneficial in getting rid of ants as the soapy water removes the scent of ant pheromones. These pheromones (similar to hormones but work outside the body) are chemical substances produced by mammals or insects and are released into the environment, most often to attract other mammals and insects. Ants secrete these pheromones to attract their mate, to signal danger to their fellow ants or to direct their fellow ants about their whereabouts.
Method 1: Take 20 ml of hand wash or soap liquid, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1½ cup of water, mix well and pour into a spray bottle. Spray this liquid directly onto the ants. You could also spray some of this liquid near the openings or crevices where you find the ants coming in from.
Method 2: You can sprinkle baking soda, cinnamon or place garlic cloves around the ants to repel the ants.
2. Cockroach spray: A lot of people have this cockroach menace in their homes and here’s a way to get rid of them. You can use bay leaves, peppermint or tea tree oil to repel Cockroaches.
Method: In 1 cup of water, add in 6 to 8 drops of tea tree essential oil and 8 to 10 drops of peppermint oil, mix well and pour into a spray bottle. Spray this on the cockroach infected areas and use it one to two times a week until the cockroaches disappear. This method is beneficial as the smell of the essential oils are known to keep cockroaches at bay. Place bay leaves in your cabinets or any other places to repel cockroaches.
3. Fruit Flies: Have you ever found these small little fruit flies sitting on your freshly cut fruit? Well, here’s how you can get rid of them!
Method: Fill up a small jar or bowl with apple cider vinegar along with 1 -2 drops of dish soap and place it near the fruit flies. This method is beneficial as the fruit flies get attracted to the smell of the apple cider vinegar, get into the trap and will not be able to escape.
4. Spider repellent: These eight-legged creatures are a scare to many. Here’s how you can get rid of them. This method is beneficial as the smell of the essential oil keeps the spiders away.
Method: In 350ml of water, add in 5 to 6 drops of any essential oil or a combination of 2 or 3 essential oils (preferably peppermint oil) with ¼ tsp dish washing soap, mix well and pour into a spray bottle. Spray this on the affected areas and keep repeating this process once to twice a week, over a few weeks until the spiders have disappeared.
Tip: You can also make small pouches filled with dried herbs and place them around your house to keep spiders at bay for longer periods, as spiders repel the scent of the dried herbs.
5. Mosquito repellent: Have you lost a good night’s sleep because of the mosquitoes in your room? Or has one of your perfect late evening relaxation time in your garden got ruined because of the numerous mosquitoes biting you! Well, we’ve all been there and there are ways to naturally get rid of them. This method is beneficial as mosquitoes detest the smell of essential oils; especially tee tree, lemon and peppermint.
Method: In ½ cup of water, add in 1 tsp of coconut oil along with 18 to 20 drops of any essential oil (preferably cintronella, tea tree or peppermint flavours), mix well and add it into a spray bottle or a roll on bottle. Spray this on your clothes, to repel mosquitoes.
you can also add cintronella or lemongrass essential oil in your diffuser to ward off mosquitoes.
Caution: Remember to always dilute the essential oil in water before using and do not directly apply it on the skin as essential oils are harsh and can cause side effects.
How to treat mosquito bites: You can just rub hard a few drops of some apple cider vinegar or diluted vinegar on the area of the mosquito bite and leave it to dry off. If you do not have apple cider vinegar or normal vinegar, you can also use a few drops of any antiseptic liquid (like Dettol, Savlon etc) and rub it hard on the area of the mosquito bite.
6. FLIES AND WASPS –
Method – Simple poke 10-20 cloves in a lemon or apple and place around the kitchen to repel flies. Add few drops of lavender essential oil around the garbage disposal or simple add few drops of essential oil to a cotton ball to get rid of pesky house flies. You can also use the fruit flies trap by adding apple cider vinegar in a bowl to trap the flies.
- You can also make small pouches filled with dried catnip herbs (a herb from the mint family) and place them at different corners of your house and the scent will keep the cockroaches at bay and prevent them from coming back, but they will not kill them if they are already there.
- Remember that cockroaches pretty much feed on anything and everything and it is important to keep your surfaces clean, at all times.