Well, if you are someone who has come across this product ‘bakuchiol’ recently and are on the lookout to find an article that can tell you everything you need to know about this product for skin care, then here you have it!
What is Bakuchiol?
Bakuchiol is nothing but a plant-based ingredient or plant extract that is now known to be a “natural alternative” to retinol. For those of you who do not know what retinol is – it is a common skincare ingredient and can be found in many over the counter skincare products like include oils, serums, moisturizers etc.
Bakuchiol is an extract from the seeds of Bakuchi Seed (Psoralea corylifolia) It’s a herb commonly used in Indian Ayurvedic and Chinese medicines. It is a powerful plant-based ingredient that improves the firmness and elasticity of your skin, leaving you with a younger-looking appearance. It helps to treat fine lines and wrinkles with its stimulation of anti-aging genes and protein. With the use of bakuchiol, you get a boost of collagen production and elastin.
Check out the benefits and how to use bakuchiol oil on your skin, below.
Benefits of Bakuchiol –
1. Can help even our skin tone: Bakuchiol can penetrate deep into the skin and thus reduce dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
2. Can help boost cell regeneration: Using bakuchiol on the skin can help improve cell turnover (the body’s natural process of cell regeneration).
3. Reduces signs of ageing: It can help reduce signs of ageing like fine lines, wrinkles etc.
4. It can help promote better skin health: It can help promote better skin health and can soothe the skin.
5. It works well on any skin type: Many people have sensitive skin and that’s why bakuchiol is a great ingredient as it is mild and gentle on all skin types.
6. It will not cause any skin irritation or dryness: Since bakuchiol is mild, it is gentle on the skin and will not cause any skin irritation or dryness.
How to use bakuchiol oil or serum ?
Step 1: Cleanse the skin
This step is very essential, to be able to get rid of dirt, grime, dead skin cells and buildup. Applying any skin product on unclean skin can lead to acne and breakouts.
Therefore, use a mild cleanser and cleanse your skin using plain water. Then, dab your face with a towel until it is damp.
Step 2: Apply rose water (optional)
You can either leave your face to be damp and then apply the bakuchiol oil or apply a little rose water as a toner all over your face, to enable the bakuchiol oil to soak into your skin better.
Step 3: Apply the bakuchiol oil
Next, apply a few drops of the bakuchiol oil all over your face on slightly damp skin, 4 to 6 drops should be sufficient.
Step 4: Massage in the oil
Lastly, gently massage in the oil into your skin using circular motions and see that the oil has been spread out and evenly applied all over your face.
Always remember to apply sunscreen afterward if you use bakuchiol in the morning.
- You can add a few drops of bakuchiol oil into your favourite skincare products, as it can act as an active-ingredient booster.
- Make sure to use sunscreen after using this oil on the skin if you are heading out of the house during the day.